Rebecca, it seems your only mistake was in letting your husband and sons
back in the house. ;)

Plese bear with me, I'll get to my point soon.

We (Greater Bay Area Costumers' Guild, San Francisco, CA) had a costumers'
rummage sale last weekend. I know that although I sold lots of vintage
patterns, trims and ribbons, I'm afraid I brought home more than I left
with. I bought fabric and books, and they're much bulkier than what I
brought. It was amazing the variety of what was brought to the sale, and
there were only 20 of us selling our stashes and outcasts. By the end of the
afternoon, I would questimate that about half of the items were no longer in
the room and had found new homes.

When you've got a sale specifically for costumers, you know what they'll
want and they know what they can hopefully find there, rather than a flea
market where it could be anything from a broken toaster to brand new jeans.

May I suggest that you try to get an event like that to happen in your area
amongst your friends and co-costumers and sewers. In getting ready for it, I
found missing projects, got rid of those shoes I love that hurt every time I
wear them, located duplicate books, that sort of thing. It actually helped
me organize parts of my stash. Fabric, trim, books, hats, accessories,
patterns, even real costume pieces and vintage pieces moved from loving hand
to loving hand.

We were lucky that we were able to use an air-conditioned room in a
community center but I know that the Southern California group have had
several very successful costumers' sales in the past, some in back yards
when necessary. The consensus was that we all had a wonderful time. I think
that everyone felt they had gotten a good deal and we got to visit with
like-minded people. At the very least we got to visit and stuff moved from
one closet to another. Our wonderful organizers had snacks and water there
for us. We were charged $5 per table and those not in the GBACG paid a door
charge of $5. It was a minor amount and helped defray costs of holding the
sale.

LynnD