On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Kim Baird <kba...@cableone.net> wrote:
> However, once they learned to weave from the Vikings, who knows what they
> might have created? Look what the Navajo did once they got some sheep.

Right now, Canada is by far the biggest producer and exporter of flax,
so I bet that a Vinland industry would have taken off!  Canada also
produces a good deal of hemp, so between the two I think it's safe to
guess that my Vinland fashionistas would have worn at least some
linen.

I don't think it would have taken more than a couple of centuries for
sheep to spread across the Americas.  I have a feeling they would have
been a big hit with the locals, once all the technical aspects had
been passed along.

The Norse managed to travel pretty far in the other hemisphere, both
by water and by land--I wonder how far they might go, to trade in the
Americas?  It wouldn't shock me to see some trade with South American
indigenous people.

-E House