>> No, imo it's not worth $2000. However, I'm very happy with the $200 I
>> spent on my copy (years ago, now...) It does go though a number of
Italian
>> inventories circa 1480 (assuming my memory is correct, I don't have my
>> copy to-hand at the moment) which I haven't seen discussed elsewhere in
>> English. IMO it's a really good complement to Bernini's _Dress in
Italian
>> Painting_ which analyzes circa 1460-80s art with an eye construction;
>> _Renaissance Dress in Italy_ analyzes what was worn by comparing art to
>> inventories. The name _Renaissance Dress in Italy_ is a bit broader
then
>> what it covers - it doesn't spend much time on Venetian fashions, and
>> mostly talks about pre-1500 styles. I do like the picture-time it gives
>> the early 1400s styles and the transition from houpelandes to the more
>> classic "Italian Renaissance" styles.

> nods.  Much better analysis than mine!  I do have to say, that I've
> never been impressed with Birbari (you've got it listed as "Bernini")
> which IMO is very limited in scope.  When I can find a copy of Herald
> that I can afford, I will own one.

*blush* should've checked on the spelling of Birbari's name, thank you for
the correction! I like her for a couple reasons, although you are right;
she is limited. I appreciate the time she spends analyzing styles (like
the sheer overdress) that in the survey books are glossed over in favor of
the more standard Italian Renaissance look. From a purely academic
standpoint I admire the time she takes to argue that you _can_ use Italian
paintings c. 1460-80 as an accurate portrayal of construction. While with
Van der Wyden and the northern painters that seems like an obvious
statement, for the Italian style I thought it was an assumption worth
questioning.
        Best of luck acquiring a copy!
                -sunny