I am not quite sure what you are aiming for, since steampunk is a kind of fantasy. But, some suggestions for the late 19th century. Obviously there were different kinds of sports--swimming, riding, and so on--that required distinctive clothes: A riding habit bodice with accessories was instantly recognizable as such. However, for general "sporty" wear, such as brisk walking, shooting, or even mountain climbing, the attire was often a walking skirt and bodice, as plain as the era would allow--but when everything was worn with bustles and had drapery, likewise with walking skirts. The bodices worn for such outfits were fairly simple, but often a vest or vest front/faux vest was allowable. For a military look, "military" arrangements of rows of braid across the front of the bodice (generally without any vest in this case) were popular in the 1880s.

Hope this helps.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books of historic clothing patterns
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Regina Voorhes wrote:
I am looking for a pattern, available in plus sizes, for a military-looking
Steampunk outfit. I plan to do a sporting-type suit,

<snip>