Actually the second lady is using a position more like one would use for
crochet and her other hand doesn't seem to have a needle as much as it seems to
be holding taught thread.  Her work resembles crocheted lace more than
knitting.  Had to get my 2Cent worth.  It's amazing how much comment this
thread has engendered.

Cheryl Odom
Santa Fe, New Mexico

"Carol Kocian wrote:
>      I'm more curious about the woman who appears to be knitting
>something lace on two needles. She has them in that "50s housewife"
>position with the ends up.

I don't know about '50s housewives - I was taught to knit in 1950s England with
the needle ends down - but I have seen a Norwegian lady knitting in that
position. As these ladies are presumably Swedish, I guess it's a Scandinavian
technique.

Kate Bunting
Librarian & 17th century reenactor
"