> I should have mentioned that I am a Laurel in costuming, and have been for
> some time.

There must be several of us Laurels on this list.  But I got my Laurel so
long ago that they didn't give them specific names, so mine's generic.

> I understand the magic of trying to make something as closely as possible
> to the original, and I encourage it as much as is humanly possible.

I consider this a cross between the challenge of doing something outside my
usual 'box' and the magic of bringing it into three dimensions from a
concept.  I learn so much working to the design ethos of a different period,
and then I get to see it real, not just in a painting.

> When I started, you took a wedding gown pattern and altered it and got all
> sorts of big eyes when it did work out.  Then we learned about metal
> grommets.  We learned about plaquets (they didn't have them).  Finally
> wonderful people like Margo did pattern lines for anything from the body on
> up.

My first Twelfthnight costume was in 1973.  I don't know what Margo was
doing that long ago, but I had the help of a costume historian friend of my
mother's who also knew theater costume tricks.  I used a corset pattern
she'd gotten from her copy of Nora Waugh, and I forget which of her books
had the dress pattern or if she'd just made it up.  I certainly didn't have
any pattern books yet, only my old copy of Davenport.

> We are fighting the old battle of the fun mavens versus the period mavens.
>  Actually we are probably both on the same side in that there is a very
> happy medium as well as great joy in getting everything exactly right and
> feeling like you stepped out of a painting.

The period-maven side of me does what CostumeCon calls historical
recreation, and the fun-mavin side of me does what CC calls historical
interpretation, plus everything else (including period and non-period
embroidery).  I just have to remember which costumes get worn to (and
appreciated at) which venues.  So I do Ren. Faire, science fiction
conventions, historical re-enacting, living history events, Steampunk
events, fiber art events, and occasional SCA events, to make sure I can
eventually wear anything I want to make.

--
Carolyn Kayta Barrows