Penny,

A little googling yielded the term "water soluble fusible" and the following (which doesn't seem exactly what I was trying to tell you about!!):

There's a water-soluble fusible tape, called Wonder Tape, which rinses out after construction is complete, and which therefore doesn't change the character - stiffness or transparency - of the fabric. It just holds things in place while you stitch them down - hems, regular seams, or trims, etc. Again, your fabric must be washable, and must be pre-shrunk before using the fusible tape.

Good product, not what I meant. Further googling included the term machine embroidery (since that was what brought it to mind):

Designed for machine embroidery. Dunno if it will hold hairs together after it's washed out:
http://www.amazon.com/Show-Fusible-Embroidery-Stabilizer-x10yd/dp/B0030MNU4S

And some articles I didn't have a chance to read- but look helpful:
http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=2047

I think I'm on the right track for my (untested!) theory though. Hope at least one of these is a winner!

    == Marjorie Wilser

=:=:=:Three Toad Press:=:=:=

"Learn to laugh at yourself and you will never lack for amusement." --MW

http://3toad.blogspot.com/