thank you Anne.In conversation with a Museum Grad student this afternoon, she
agreed that the 'Use" factor would be factored into the license contract and
other modifications would also have to be delt with as the occasion occurred.
-----Original Message-----
From: <annbw...@aol.com>
Sent 5/13/2010 11:32:28 AM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Brocade and Fair Usegalities
I have found myself wondering about how
ommercial companies (say Waverly) go about reproducing fabrics from the
istorical perspective (say Winterthur or Williamsburg). Permission to copy??
ermission to sell
As I mentioned in one of my posts--that is licensing.  Winterthur and
Williamsbug both, I am sure, have agreed to license textiles for reproduction
to, say, Waverly.  (Don't those fabrics even say so on the selvege, usually?  I
know the linens that J.P. Stevens licensed said so--they did both Williamsburg
and Mount Vernon, and, I think, Historic Charleston lines, as well.)  They may
be exact copies, or modifications, and are often produced in several colorways.
 This is probably all spelled out in said licensing agreement.
Ann Wass