Generation Gap!!!! Tonight at the dinner table, Mom, my husband, and I were
talking about Mitch Miller's death and our memories of his TV show,
"Sing-along-with-Mitch." We were just a chattering. Our 27 y.o. son, Andy,
was dead silent. I asked Andy, "You have no idea who we are talking about."
He nodded his head. So here it is for the younger generation.

A L-OOOOOO-N-G time ago, people only had one TV with 3 stations (if they
were lucky) and the entire family sat down and TV watched together after
dinner. The time was 1961-1966 and a show came on called
"Sing-along-with-Mitch." Mitch was an big band leader and the songs were
Americana. The song words appeared on the screen with a bouncing ball. The
entire family sang the songs with the show. Think of early karaoke.

Video all from one show:
Part 1:
<blocked::http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY9gtYeHhk&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY9gtYeHhk&feature=related
Part 2:  <blocked::http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaWf51mj9pA&NR=1>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaWf51mj9pA&NR=1
Part 3:
<blocked::http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWOr3FDJI8&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWOr3FDJI8&feature=related
Part 4:
<blocked::http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5GwzvkN-k&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5GwzvkN-k&feature=...related

My costume notes: Costume designer for the show wwas by Sal Anthony.  Mitch
Miller was very noted for his VanDyke beard.

Here is a video from Sing-along-with-Mitch that features 1960s versions of
1900s, 1910s, & 1920s costumes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tiru-04z9w
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tiru-04z9w&feature=related>
&feature=related  The 1910s men's costumes in George Burns number are pretty
good.

Penny Ladnier
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
 <http://www.costumegallery.com/> www.costumegallery.com
14 websites of fashion, textiles, & costume history