I just looked up his webpage... http://www.tomtierney.com/index.htm  He's in
his 80's by now, majority of his career he was a fashion artist for various
large east coast department stores (in the 50s-70s).  The paper doll books were
a late development.

There's nothing in his bio that indicates any experience with academia,
archaeology, costume history, history or even theatrical costume design.

A quick scan of the covers of his works (which are voluminous!) -- very
colorful, highly decorated, make Iris Brooke look like a paragon of research!
He gets some of the silhouettes and main lines right, but the colors and
patterns he fills in with are dizzying.

chimene