On Friday 20 August 2010 4:18:35 am Kate Bunting wrote:
> Cathy Raymond wrote:
> He did a book on later medieval fashion where he
> misintreprets the long bead string worn by a woman in the Tres Riches
>  Heures as a transparent fabric with a beaded edge.
>
> I know very little about mediaeval costume, but I can understand why
>  Tierney thought it was a cape with a beaded edge - the beads pass OVER her
>  arm. Looks very awkward to modern eyes, but I suppose you didn't have to
>  do anything energetic in that kind of outfit!

Oh, I can understand the error too.  But it means that he was cranking out
those coloring books too fast to take enough thought about his source
pictures.  That fact makes his books too unreliable to use as reference--even
though they seem wonderfully clear.

--

Cathy Raymond <ca...@thyrsus.com>

"No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell