Personally, I'd use a regular shirt.... maybe take the collar off and replace
it with a rectangular one (or cut it or fold it into a rectangle) and wear a
stock (a long rectangle wrapped around the neck) ....or perhaps even a girl's
cotton blouse with poofy sleeves with these things done to it. But I'd spend my
efforts on an 18th century waistcoat to go over the shirt. They are easy to
make and the patterns made by Simplicity or other commercial companies are not
dreadfully off the mark. (You wouldn't have to do the real pockets, just the
flaps). Also, take a pair of plain pants, cut them off to make breeches, using
the cut off part of the legs to make the knee bands. This is a trick I've used
often when Q&D was required. The waistcoat can cover the fly... but the lack of
a half fall is not that much of a problem really. Now you'll need stockings
(tights) and plain shoes. A buckle with a fake tongue on elastic can cover the
lacings and make them look more period.

Are there no costume/party rental places within driving distance? What with
Teabaggers and stuff, colonial things must be in stock.