Please, can anyone recommend to me a really reliable source for information about the sorts of textiles, especially silk, being used in England in the fifteenth century?

Hi Linda,

You have probably already tried these but they are the books in my collection which cover the earliest periods. I realise they are later than your research but thought they might have some of the same names.
'English Domestic Needlework 1660-1860' by Therle Hughes
'Elizabethan Embroidery' by George Wingfield Digby

When I was researching some local Wills, I found a definition of 'harden' (of sheets) in the Full Oxford Dictionary. My local Library has it on-line for members. It might be worth looking up some of the original terms or the more modern 'definitions'.

By the way - harden is a rough type of linen woven from the coarser parts of flax or hemp separated in hackling.

Good luch with your research.
Viv.