Mine is only about 5 years old, but did take on the shape of its cover
pretty thoroughly even in that short time... and since I made the
cover lace on rather than zip on, it also had some well-defined lace
impressions on it.  When I took the cover off to wash it, I wound up
leaving it in my sewing room all summer.  This is significant, because
my sewing room is a largish room over my detached garage... and I only
air condition it when I'm actively using it, which I didn't that
summer.

I'd taken the cover off to wash it before, and the form had held the
shape until I put it back on (even when I left it off for several
weeks, because it's a chore to put it back on), but this time it
sprang back (as far as I can remember) to pretty much its original
shape within a few days.  I'm about 90% convinced that it was due to
the heat.  If so, this means that you're in luck there in Oz, what
with summer heat breathing down your neck!

-E House