I think I come by the basics leading up to costuming honestly.  My mom
like so many in the 50s was expected to sew & made her own suits &
outfits for all us kids.  My dad, the pro fine arts photographer,
taught me awareness of color & balance, mood, lighting & composition.

As I've been called in as Stage Manager (for the first time) my dad
actually confessed that lighting technician was a big interest in
college.  ... final dress rehearsal tonite & opening tomorrow for
Vienna, City of My Dreams -- A Music and Dance Performance by
Peninsula Symphony & Danse Libre alumni
On Friday we're at San Mateo PAC
http://www.goldstar.com/events/san-mateo-ca/peninsula-symphony-performs-romantic-music.html

On Saturday, we're at the Flint Center
http://www.flintcenter.com/show_info.html

This one's been fun as the dance company didnt know they needed to
provide lighting guidance to the tech crew.  I've gotten to do that
and is soooo fun!  Painting with light!

Nowadays, my parents have picked up the costume & history bug from me.
They volunteer at local historic houses, throw ragtime costume paties
for their friends and seriously cheer me on.
In the younger generation, my young niece & youngest nephew have been
bitten by the costume bug, too... tho she prefers "princess dresses"
to most anything else. Her brother has a huge wardrobe of pirate's
coats, knights "armor" and other costumes.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com