18thC stockings have been discussed in detail on a few different lists:

What you saw are probably frame knit as opposed to hand knit. Here is a link to a pair, and I'm sure the embroidery is different: http://www.visitorreview.com/fashionphotographycompetition/22Plus/ RememberingJeremyFarrell

There are a few differences between how they were made and making them yourself. Through most of the 18thC, stockings were knit to shape on the knitting frame. That means that they had a finished edge. When making them from a cut fabric, you'll need to make sure you have a sufficient seam allowance or seam finish. The really tricky place for this is at the top of the gore which would be inserted into the ankle portion. See the Kannick's pattern illustration:

http://www.kannikskorner.com/pataccess.htm
"Stockings, pockets and mitts," a good base for making your repro stockings from knit yardgoods.

18thC knits were dense, and the frame knit fabric does not have a lot of stretch. Modern jersey knits are very stretchy, so while you could use a silk jersey, it will be different. It depends on how picky you are about that, also experiments would help to see how well it can support the embroidery.

So far all stockings I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them!) have the clocking on BOTH SIDES of the leg.

As far as the embellishment, since you said it was gold then I'm assuming metallic threads. With metallic thread, some stockings have the main motif stitched onto vellum, then that piece is applied onto the stocking with extra portions embroidered right on the stocking.

Regular old silk thread embroidery is also found.

Plating is specific to frame-knit stockings and seems to have fallen out of fashion about the middle of the 18th century. This was done as the stocking was knit, by introducing a contrast color of filaments on top of the main thread. It can be mimicked by duplicate stitch embroidery, but that embroidery thread would have to be very fine.

Turnshapes were a way of manipulating the frame knitting (in progress) to form purl stitches. I think these fell out of favor as frame knitting became more of a production craft, with the finished plain stocking handed off to an embroiderer (cheaper tools) for embellishment.

One more technique is called "chevening," supposedly invented in 1783. This involves taking a horizontal stitch across the knit stitch ad can be seen in the 3rd image (monochrome clocking) of the Remembering Jeremy Farrell set. With single stitches in the same thread as the stocking, it will resemble purl stitches. Stitches were also taken across 3, 5 or 7 stitches to form the more detailed design such as the one in that image. Chevening was also done in colors for some very complex designs, especially going into the early 19th century.

A lot of this will require decisions and compromise as you make your stockings. I learned to knit on an antique frame but never got close to an exact repro. It all depends on your end use and authenticity standards. You can get away with more short-cuts on something you are wearing vs. a stocking made to go on display.

-Carol