Ginni
Sacramento, CA
ECHS '68

>>> Laurie Taylor <costume...@mazarineblue.com> 2/14/11 1:13 PM >>>
Oh my, I laughed so hard at the idea of there ever being re-enactment groups
for the era of my childhood!  I'm having trouble coping with the idea of the
70's, 80's and 90's being 'vintage' and collectible.  Still, I wish I had
hung on to some pieces from back then.

And if we can re-enact the Middle Ages or the Civil War, well...why not?

Laurie T.

Phoenix

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Land of Oz
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 1:39 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] not ancient hist. costume...

but soon to be!

I recently found a book called The Illustrated Hassle-free Make Your Own
Clothes Book by Rosonberg and Weiner published by Bantam.

I ordered it sight-unseen, so it's not exactly what I thought it was going
to be, but it's proven to be an interesting glimpse into the recent past of
clothing/costuming. It was published in 1971 and the introduction is full of

hippie phrasing like "my old man" "groovy" "fairly heavy cat" "funkiness"
"up-tightness" and even the f-bomb.

I read the introduction aloud to my mother (who was a 31 year old
tailor/seamstress in 1971 but definitely in the Channel and Pearls camp
rather than the counter-culture group) and we both thought it was hilarious.

 We both noted that in just a few more decades most people won't be able to
correctly interpret such phrases as "he was a fairly heavy cat"  lol!  My
mother also reminded me of several older-than-me friends of the family I had

admired growing up who were into making mu'umu'u from flowered bed sheets,
and using wildly contrasting fabric to insert large wedges into the pant's
legs of their jeans. (I was, of course, forbidden to do any such thing!)

Will there someday be reinactment groups for the late 60s to 70s?  :-)  This

book may prove to be a valuable reference!

Denise B
Iowa

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.