On 03/14/2011 02:58 PM, Lisa A Ashton wrote:
Delurking here:

 [snip]

  So for me, now learning about the Civil War era, to
recreate an actual person known to have lived (their clothing--I am NOT a
re-enactor), the more I learn about the sewingmachines of hte time, what
might have been done by hand, the history of the Industrial Age at that
time, what dyes and colors were available, What undergarments were worn
to shape the outside, what fabrics might have been available to a
specific social class in a particular location, it's all a continuum.
Context is, truly, everything.  And "re-inventing the wheel", as I had to
with the Great-grandmother dress, in order to make the decorative
soutache swirls accurately, definitely gave me a much stronger
connection; as has making my collars and cuffs for my Civil War era
dresses by hand.

I would say that for many of us, personal interest is a very strong
motivator.

The same is very much true for me. I don't really enjoy sewing, but I have taught myself enough skills to be able to sew an early Medieval style shift and tunic, and have learned much thereby. Thanks, Lisa, for your comment.

--
Cathy Raymond
ca...@thyrsus.com

"Beware how you take away hope from another human being."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes