The shoddy manufacturing is interesting - I was thinking pre-industrial
revolution.  I can't comprehend that cloth that had been painstakingly spun
and woven would be simply stuffed inside a pillow.  My modern mindset keeps
thinking that the thrifty Medieval or Elizabethan housewife would at least
save them for clothing repairs, or consoldated with other scraps for
blankets.