-----Original Message-----
I have one of her patterns,
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/products/rh606-early-tudor-common-mans-
outfit-1,
which I am planning on using to make the hosen, but as far as I can
tell,it looks like it needs to be tied to stay up.   I was hoping for tips
on getting them to stay up without being tied.  I mean, the three pictures I
showed, they COULD NOT be tied, I mean, on two of them, you can see the
ties, and they are definitly NOT TIED.  Also hubby does have the
....uhm...."beer" belly such that he needs a belt on his pants, but the guys
in the paintings don't exactly look slim.

snip)
jordana>>>>>>>>

Your first pic. 1570
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/26.72.23#ixzz1KelyC2bv

The man on the left appears to have a belt. Hosen were known at times to be
tied to the shirt. most cases that I have seen, the tie that is at the
"waist band" in front acts like a front button on regular pants, plus the
codpiece ties may act as an additional form of support.

This has a somewhat zoomable image of the series.
http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159397000

here you can see in the first print that the somewhat dressed up is Venetian
pants, which would have in some cases a belt. Margo Anderson has a pattern
http://www.margospatterns.com/

Details of Bruegel's harvesters 1565
http://tinyurl.com/3ng9gy6

Here is more of Bruegel's works that can be zoomable
http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/b/bruegel/pieter_e/index.html
Pick the category. Click on the little picture and a new screen pops up
click on the 200% for a close up.

Though the lower class folks tend to be behind the times somewhat, your
*Peasants Making Merry outside a Tavern 'The Swan'*
c. 1630
http://www.wga.hu/art/b/bruegel/pieter_y/peasants.jpg
is 30 years past SCAs cut off date. The further away from the cut off date
the more you need to question the look. SCA cut off date is December 31,
1600. Note that no one should give you grief if you show up to an event in
post SCA period garb.

In the above pic. the man on the left with the woman and talking to the
woman in pink, if you note the gray "vest" appears to have the hosen tied to
it in the back.

Same with the man in yellow in the wedding pic. 1607
http://www.wga.hu/art/b/bruegel/pieter_y/wedding.jpg

Found it
http://www.reddawn.net/costume/peasant.htm
I knew I had seen a research site.