Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:31 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] tambour embroidery--more questions

Bjarne,

My tambour frame arrived from Lacis and that has brought up some more questions. I find it slippery and think I need to put something on the bottom of the wood stand to keep it from moving around when I am working.

When you are working on a piece of fabric that is large when you are tamouring around the dress hem, do you pin or baste the rest of thefabric to keep it from getting in the way?

Do you turn the frame when doing the flowers or do you just get used to tambouring in any direction without moving the frame?

I tried experimenting with many different kinds of threads. I found it is important to have the right needle(I used the largest needle) size to prevent snaging the threads. I also found that tightly woven threads work best. My best attempts have been with sewing thread size 50. I would like to use a thread a bit thicker so that it shows up better. You said you used DMC threads. Could you tell me which size and the name of the DMCthread--there are so many? I tried #12 crochet cotton and that seemed to work somewhat ok.

Thank you Bjarne.

Charlene Roberts