My mother has the king-size, wool stuffed, wool scrap pieced, flannel
backed comforter that my great-grandmother made.  The wool stuffing is
hand carded, and laid in swirls. (I noticed when I did some repairs on
it a couple years back.) It's impressively heavy; you might suffocate
under it, but you wont be cold.  The Illinois farmhouse didnt have
central heating.

She also made several cotton piecework quilts, one for each grand &
great-grand child.  They are much much lighter in weight than the wool
one. The cotton stuffing is hand-carded, too.

My husband's great-grandmother made a down stuffed "best" quilt that I
have, as well. Very high loft & extremely lightweight.  I recall that
sleeve stuffings could be down (in various eras), but dont recall any
down petticoats in any inventories or museums.

I'm a quilter, too, and that "Warm & Natural" stuff sandwiched in
cotton is a whole lot lighter than the all-wool one of the same size.
My quilted petticoat is nuthin' by comparison. It's very light, and
not much more batting in it than a baby quilt or lap quilt might have.

It's those 1840s-50s corded & ruffled petticoats that are beasts to
wear, IMHO. It all depends on the weight and density of the rope being
used.  I'm not an expert & I never made a corded petti.  Maybe someone
else can provide some insight on these.

Enjoy the 3-day weekend, ladies & gents!
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com