I do remember something in the 5!*s n 60 called sharkskin..........
-----Original Message-----
Date: Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:37:11 am
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
From: "Ruth Anne Baumgartner" <ruthan...@mindspring.com>
Subject: [h-cost] somewhat OT fabric question

Hello the list:

I'm directing a production of Conor McPherson's The Seafarer, and one
of the characters claims to be wearing a Versace jacket made of
"dogskin." He clarifies that it's a kind of fabric, and another
character feels the sleeve and remarks on its softness.

I'm sure McPherson doesn't mean houndstooth, although I did find a
picture of a Versace tuxedo-style jacket supposedly in houndstooth but
looking distinctly solid-black to me. Certainly the Broadway
production, which McPherson directed, didn't have a character in a
houndstooth-check jacket.

Can't find an answer on the Internet. Does anyone know of a fabric
with this name?

Thank you for any help!

--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer