What gets me every time is the sleeve.  Modern
leeves are cut rather straight and converting them to a banana shape for the
ictorian sleeve is not possible without piecing. I have yet to take the plunge
ut would like to try sometime just to see if it is doable.

If the poster is just going after a frock "look," and not 100% authenticity,
the cut of the sleeve might not be so critical.

But as others have said, you have to be sure you have enough length and would
pretty much have to pick the whole thing apart and steam the pieces. You might
be able to use the lapels intact, but, if the coat is large enough to have
sufficient length, the lapel area might not fit, either.

Many years ago, my grandmother made me a winter coat out of a man's Harris
tweek jacket or coat, but I was only 4 or 5 years old!

These days, I find my time often worth more than money, so I would probably buy
fabric, just like I wouldn't want to start from scratch to make a cover for a
dress form.  But we all decide differently where to put our scarce
resources--be they time or money.

And of course one has to figure in the time to visit thrift stores and maybe or
maybe not finding something suitable.

Ann Wass