Most 19th century bonnets I've seen, real and costume, will stay on as well as
any hat and the "strings" don't really keep it on, except maybe in windy
weather or in an open coach. I'm willing to bet that many times the tying of
one's bonnet string, and how they are to be tied is dictated by fads and
fashion.
There are also those periods where linen caps are worn in the house and under
bonnets, and they do seem to have practical strings and in the 18th century are
sometimes clearly meant to be tied under the chin for the look. Just how many
things are you to tie under your chin?
Then there those 1870-80's bonnets that tie behind

As to gloves, you just know there's a myriad of Victorian rules coverning those
in society. I know the length has to do with when one wears a certain length.
This seems practical as an evening dress might have no sleeves(so long gloves)
and a day dress only requires shorter gloves. But wearing them all the time is
part of that "I don't have to do anything for myself... I have servants,
y'know" thing.

I love those Victorian dinner scenes (like in "Age of Innocence") where the
ladies at the table have their hands out of the gloves with the glove fingers
tucked into the wrist opening.