Linda wrote:

>Thank you, Elizabeth W. and Sharon C. - I never realised that wearing a
>hat could have so many implications!  I wonder if the idea is modern of
>"doing honour to the occasion" by wearing a hat, which seems to be
>coming back into custom and not just fashion.

>When I wore a hat as part of my school uniform, ( yes, a very long time
>ago), I would have been grateful for ribbons.  In Summer terms, I must
>have covered many miles with one hand holding it on my head; Autumn and
>Spring terms were not so bad, since our school Winter coats had an
>especially wide hood to cover the hat, and that tied with a gathering
>string.  Thinking back, we must have looked very sweet . . .

>There were certainly rules about never being seen out of doors without
>your hat - nor your gloves, (brown leather for Winter, white cotton for
>Summer).  Was there some ettiquette behind glove-wearing too?

As you say in your 3rd paragraph, I think before the mid-20th century everyone
routinely wore a hat out of doors, even if they only had a very shabby one.

We used to sew elastic to our school panama hats. Our winter hats were knitted
caps, so keeping them on wasn't a problem.

Kate Bunting
Librarian & 17th century reenactor