Great thread from little material, this is shaping up to be :) Little on _my_ part, I hasten to add. Thanks to you, and everyone, who has replied!!

So here's the story: actual date (historical characters) Dec 29. Travel easier by cutter (if snowy), but I won't schedule much snow. People are not coming far :) Ceremony by Justice of the Peace, which was typical for New Englanders who upheld the old Puritan traditions. In bride's home, not the church, so no heating issues. No prayer book- not a liturgical church. Bible, perhaps, but with a JP ceremony? Probably not. Family and neighbors only. They're in the country.

Bride prepares by making a new "best dress," certainly not white. I have her debating colors with her mother: Mom is all for gray or brown, which bride rejects, wanting a deep rose. Mom rejects rose as Bride is marrying a preacher and must look dignified to suit the role, even though only 20. Green fades too much, pale blue shows spots, red too bright, and they agree the dress might have to last 5 or more years as her Sabbath apparel. Preachers aren't well paid.

Bride finally chooses a deep medium blue silk: color enough for her, conservative ("dignified") enough for Mom, and won't show spots as badly as lighter colors. Pinked trim rather than the more expensive and hard-to-care-for fringe.

Most of it is written already, but since flowers grow in California most of the year, I was stumped to see if I could find her any, as a natural solution for lack of funding :)

My conclusion is that Mom decorates with the bittersweet-- it's really pretty!, but decrees not in a bouquet: the so-called "language of flowers" has negative connotations with bittersweet. Perhaps I'll have the sister-in-law make some paper flowers, as has been suggested, and coat them with wax.

    == Marjorie Wilser

=:=:=:Three Toad Press:=:=:=

"Learn to laugh at yourself and you will never lack for amusement." --MW

http://3toad.blogspot.com/