How ably hand quilting/aembroidering to a very light cotton batting. Done with
a metallic thread and sorry of couched it would at to the richness and image of
a brocade which was also period in turkey at the time. Just a thought.
-----Original Message-----
Date: Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:48:37 am
To: h-costume@mail.indra.com
From: lili...@earthlink.net
Subject: [h-cost] How to stiffen rayon

I have some cellulose rayon fabric, the kind that looks and behaves a lot like
cotton, but has a very soft hand. I would like to find a way to make it less
drapey so i can turn it into an Ottoman entari. It is printed with a very hard
to find pattern, chintimani,
http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/cintamani.html
which i have not been able to find in a more suitable fabric.

The garment will be lined and faced. But i'm afraid the outer rayon fabric will
droop away from it. A friend recommended starching the fabric which might be
good before cutting it out, but the garment will need to be washed and the
fabric may droop after washing. If i use an interlining, i'm concerned the
rayon will gradually sag unevenly away from it.

Is there some way to bond whole pieces of fabric to a soft interlining? Some
bonding agents have been recommended, but i'm not sure that they are suitable
for whole garments.

Or any other suggestions on what i can do to maintain the fabric in a somewhat
firmer state?

Thanks