On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Marjorie Wilser <the3t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure where you get the 'didn't do dark blues' well. I have a goodly
> supply of dark blue from the 90s (in a 5 pound can! That's a lifetime for my
> small letterpress), and it's dark and creamy (under the can skin), and
> indeed prints dark blue, enough to make print appear black!

Well, I spent several years in the printing press automation business.
Regarding 4 color printing, it was one of those things the color
separations people and press operators complained about the most...
along with trying to print "wet" looking or shiny images onto
newsprint & catalogs.  Marjorie, you are using what modern commercial
press houses would call a speciality color.  Yes, you can get any one
color you like. For full color dot-printed matter in 4-color KCMY,
it's different.

For those of you who are curious what we're talking about:  Dig up a
newsprint copy of the SJ Merc, or the Metro and find a color car ad or
a color picture of a cold drink with dew on the side.  Look at the
same image in the online version.  World of difference!

We can go on about photographic color spaces, too, as you point out,
but we're wandering rather far off topic.

Happy to talk shop with you anytime Marjorie!  When are you in Silly
Valley next?
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com