How about getting mold/mildew stains out of a white cotton/linen blend (my
beautiful repro. Victorian blouse got left at the bottom of a laundry
basket while damp.....).  Is there any hope?

Katy

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Margaret Geiss-Mooney <
m...@textileconservator.com> wrote:

> Good evening, H-Costume'lers - The process for blotting is well described
> below. BUT please use liquid 99% isopropyl or 70% isopropyl alcohol and NOT
> aerosol hairspray. You do NOT want to be breathing all of the ingredients
> of
> the hairspray nor leaving all those unneeded ingredients behind in your
> clothes. I have found both 99% and 70% isoprop in the first aid aisle of my
> local grocery store and local pharmacy store. You need lots of air
> circulation and fresh air while using the alcohol as well - ideally,
> working
> outside.
>
> If you find that neither of the isoprops are moving the ink in to the paper
> towels, try ethyl alcohol (ethanol) - EverClearT grain alcohol is available
> in most places at 151 proof (75% ethanol/25% water). In some states you can
> also get EverClearT at 190 proof (95% ethanol/5% water) and you should use
> that if it is available. I also suggest you wear nitrile gloves so you
> don't
> dry out your skin on your hands as you are switching out paper towels
> (plain, undecorated ones), no matter which alcohol you try.
>
> Please feel free to contact me off-line if you need further clarification
> or
> have additional questions.
> Regards,
> Meg
> .   _  _  _  _  _  _  _   _ _   ___________
> Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney
> Textile/Costume Conservator &
> Collections Management Consultant
> Professional Associate - AIC
> 707-763-8694
> m...@textileconservator.com
>
> .. alcohol is essential.....how Everex so is a blotted. We used to get
> instant out of our nursing assistant uniforms by having loads of papertowel
> handy. It is time and materials consuming.it took me 45 minutes  and  1/2
> can of gairspray once to get out a staint the size of my fist but it did
> come out completely. Put a wad of paper towels under the stain. Have
> another
> wad handy. Saturated the stain with gairspray. Blot. Keep turning or
> changing the town so you dont remain with the inky towels. Keep repeating
> the process repeating the sting with the gairspray  and blotting it away.
> Dont forget to check the underpaid of towels to have always a clean surface
> from under as swell! We used to get every bit outof white uniforms, well
> enough for inspection which was very unforgiving.  ...
>

> ...ink is water based and when trying to remove the ink it bleeds making
> the
> end spots bigger.  May husband did this before and I washed the clothes
> several times and removed some of the ink but not all.  This time the ink
> blots are massive and all over my clothes. ...

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.