Fusible backing with thin linen on the inside. Non scratchy and cool.
Sharon C.

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of lynlee o
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 9:16 PM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: Re: [h-cost] embroidery and irons

 > I can't stand the scratchiness
>of the embroidery on a couple of outfits I bought in Florida the last
>time we went down for a shuttle launch, so, I need to devise a partial
>lining that won't make them too hot.  I do commercial embroidery by
machine. The embroiderer probably used a syntetic instead of cotton
underthread. You can't change that now, but there are fusable backings which
you can iron on to soften the backing.

>I concluded that the way to get an old-fashioned iron was to just buy an
>old iron.  There are a lot of them out there.  I am very hopeful about
>my upcoming vintage GE (and since it has a polyester setting it can't be
>an antique!), but if that does not live up to its unused-looking shiny
>promise in the seller's photo and description, I will just keep buying
>old irons till I get one that works.My iron is a Sunbeam domestic one from
about 15 years ago. In light of your comments, I am in no hurry to "upgrade"
to a new one. The thing I found then was that most of the ones on the market
were "nice and light" to make ironing "easy". I had one and biffed itas
instead of letting the weight of the iron do the work, I had to push down on
it to do any meaningful ironing. Give me a nice heavy one any day.I guess
you get used to your own equipment. The one thing I do to look after it is
to only use distilled water so I don't get gunk building up.Not only does it
cause gritty bits to fall out, it plays havoc with the theromstat. All water
is not equal. The less minerals the better for irons and car
batteries.Lynlee