I've been to 2 of them.

One was my very first ever SCA event, and I enjoyed most of it.  (SCA folk tend
to travel in packs, and as a single I felt a bit like the proverbial fish out
of water.)  There was way more going on than I could possibly keep up with--and
I still refer to some of the handouts I brought back, and talk to other people
about our shared experiences there.  People were very welcoming to a newcomer,
and it was definitely worth the money and time I put into it.

The second one was one of those events where everything that could go wrong did
go wrong.  I still enjoyed the sessions I attended, and all the friendly
conversations with other costumers, but there is one shire in the Known World
that I will never go out of my way to visit again.  :-(  (I think it was a
classic case of too few people taking responsibility for the group's endeavor,
and when the venue self-destructed there weren't enough staff to fix all the
problems.)  But again, I have the handouts and still refer to them and share
them, so it wasn't a total loss.

I've recently been thinking about going to the one in November because it's an
easy day's drive and that's not a busy time of year for me.  And, I don't mind
the idea of a "hotel conference" setting for this type of SCA event; I know
others don't agree with that point of view but it works for me.  I'll be
interested in hearing what others think!

Suzanne
(in Iowa)