Thanks all for helping with my machine choice.

Buying the top levels of any major brand, is a wise tho pricey move
for the serious costumer (or textile person).  I just opted for the
Bernina 550 and now have a my old Viking 1+ as my backup machine.  One
specializes in machine quilting (great for smallish areas) and the
latter specializes in embroidery.  Both are made in Europe, rather
than China where cheap is the watch-word.  I chose based on
reliability & features not present in my other machine.

The Viking wouldn't have been replaced if not for the fact that some
of the wavemounted connectors on the motherboard and video controller
had vibrated loose over the 15 yrs of moderately heavy use & developed
shorts. My electrical-engr husband debugged & resoldered them saving
me $600+ in repairs.  (The repair shop guy was going to replace the
boards, rather than do the inexpensive repair.)

For those with gobs more money & lots of space, I've just gotten
started with the full size CNC controlled HandiStitcher quilting
machine at TechShop (www.techshop.ws) which can handle quilts as wide
as 120". Wow, what fun!   I'm hoping for a few quilted petticoats in
my future.

Happy machine shopping to the rest of you,
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com