On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Julie <jtknit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess all you can do now is line it. (With fabrics that don't hold their
>> shape, interfacing corrects that but now that you've put the dress
>> together, that would be a bear.
> **It *is* lined.  Maybe if I'd interlined it?

Interlining is for warmth & is unusual in anything but coats &
jackets.  Interfacing is for strength, shaping & structural support.

> Does the stretch occur in crossgrain direction?
> **no.  Bodice is cut straight grain and grows around the body.

Actually from your description (what I heard you say is that the
straight grain runs vertical), the garment *is* growing on the cross.
This is normal to a small degree.  On grain the weave is tight because
of the weaving direction; the warp is tight on the loom.  If fabrics
are going to grow as you describe, it's usually on cross grain.
Quilt fabrics are not supposed to do this. That's why we pony up the
extra cost... to get the tighter weaves that dont grow.  (Yes, I'm a
mad quilter, too.)

> Is your model wearing period unmentionables
> **no.  She's young enough that the boned bodice is enough...no bra.

In this we will disagree.  I'm probably skinny enough to pull this
off, too, but I'd still wear the proper unmentionables for shape,
structure & fashion... and maybe because I'm a bit of a costume snob.
For your debugging purposes, however, I'd suggest the corsetry for
repeatability.  Many women, young & old, change size monthly,
seasonally or at random.  The corset, tightened to a known amount at
B,W & H will give you a better target to fit to next time 'round.

> Also, IMHO, the Joann's quilting fabrics on the bargain wall are not
> particularly high quality.
> **These were the good quilting fabrics.  That's why I'm so mystified &
> ticked.  I didn't cheap out (but only because we didn't find anything we
> liked on sale.)

> Julie

If you're sure the fabric is to blame & not the pre-treatment or
assembly process, then take it back & complain to the vendor.  Tell us
who the fabric manufacturer is so we can all direct our ire
appropriately.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com