You can buy a serger that does a beautiful chain stitch.
Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of aqua...@patriot.net
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:26 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Embroidery Machines

> I'm sure embroidery machines can do satin stitch, but can they do
> chain stitch?

I think your best bet there is to get an antique machine that sews with a
chain stitch. I actually had a toy machine at one point that was a chain
stitch, but it would lose alignment easily.

Chain stitch, or tambour embroidery was popular in the 1780s. It's thought
to have originated in India. There is a beautiful Indian robe at the
Victoria & Albert Museum, from the early 18th century.

-Carol