On 12/17/2012 07:58 PM, humbugfo...@att.net wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'm also wondering about two small details on this
pattern. It's designed to close with hooks and eyes (wonder of wonders,
NOT a zipper) but I wonder if lacing might be more appropriate to the
time period (1840). Also, the sleeves end with a slit (at least 3-4
inches) closed at the wrist with a button. I feel that even if the slit
is appropriate (and I'm not sure it is), it's designed too long. (I
won't even bother to discuss the fact that the skirt is too narrow -
they simply didn't use enough petticoats on the model).

I don't think they used petticoats at all (at least not for the shape, that is). I think they used a modern hoop skirt that was on the narrow side. That's part of the reason the dress looks wrong--the skirt SHAPE is wrong--not just (or even primarily) the width of it.

--
Cathy Raymond
ca...@thyrsus.com

"Remember that time is money."