But it's still ultimately made from hydrocarbons - as are most synthetic fabrics. Polyester may have gone away for a while, but viscose, lycra, polyamide, microfibre haven't.

As for things derived from petroleum not belonging on your skin - Vaseline? Everything is either animal, vegetable or mineral, and if it's mineral, it's probably derived from oil. It's just a source of big molecules, once they're chopped up and recombined they don't necessarily have any properties in common with petrol.

Jean

On 02/04/2013 03:29, Monica Spence wrote:
FWIW--Polyester now is an ecofriendly fabric. It is made of recycled soda
and water bottles.

Monica E. Spence, MA, MA, BA, PhD/ in progress
Senior Lead Instructor
Fashion Studies Department
Liberal Arts and Sciences Department
The Art Institute of New York City
11-17 Beach Street
New York, NY 10013

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Sybella
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:16 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Polyester is the great new fiber

Ahh, darn it!! Polyester?? Nooooo....

When I'm shopping for clothing, I look long and hard for natural fibers.
Synthetics make my hair stand on end, and as a wavy, I battle unruly curls
all the time. I really do not need static making it more difficult for me.

Plus, I find it quite bothersome that, according to that article, polyester
is a petroleum by-product. I haven't done my research (I avoid polyester
anyway) but if it is fossil derived, it is not a renewable resource. Hasn't
there been complaints since the 1980s that fossil sources are nearly
depleted?? In my opinion, anything that comes from the same source as
gasoline doesn't belong on our skin. (Does anyone really like polyester??
LOL!)

That said, I'm incredibly disappointed and grossed out that polyester has
made a come back. :(

'Bella