The Bernina 1008 is a solid, no-frills workhorse. The sewing machine store tried to upsell me a fancier model of Bernina on the grounds that those make better buttonholes, but since I was having the Viking restored I stuck with my choice of the 1008.

No machine is perfect, but I still have a case of accumulitis, thinking about all the machines I could have bought and thinking another one wouldn't hurt . . .

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on historic sewing
www.lavoltapress.com