This is very OT for 12thC, but I've always wondered how it was done... Navajo
women's traditional "double-bun" hair-dress.  I think I'm going to ponder for a
while if a similar technique might be of assistance in achieving the Viking
women's ritual knot hair-dress, which, admittedly, is also OP for this list !?
In any case, it is a marvelous demonstration of how to create and hold a fairly
complex hair construction using non-modern tools.

anyway, a Native lady on another of my lists just posted about a zillion photos
from a recent large family reunion, among them a very step-by-step
demonstration.

Now, there are several clusters of hairdress photos scattered among pics of
other activities, starting about halfway down this page, look for the little
girl in the pink and yellow top, with white yarn holding her hair
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neeta_lind/sets/72157634727656803/page2/

enjoy
chimene