(delurking)

It strikes me as looking out of place, too. I found a scrapbook from 1917 in a thrift store once. The book was just FULL of film star photos. You can see some of them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/litlnemo/sets/72157615210203836/

For the most part when hair is shown loose and long it is curled. Side parts and bangs also seem particularly common.

In the photos here her hair seems really almost unstyled at all!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/posts/Peaky-Blinders-Fighting-to-play-Grace

In the bottom photo it almost looks like they tried to curl it, but the details just don't look period to me. That long hair with a center part with no fringe and no curls just doesn't show up in my 1917 pics -- I don't think 1919 was that much different, but I suppose it could have been.

Kate Bunting wrote:
Another TV costume drama question...
In the current BBC series "Peaky Blinders" (about a criminal gang in
Birmingham post-WW1) a prominent female character wears her shoulder-length
hair loose.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01fj945
This looks far too modern to me. Before short styles came in in the '20s,
wouldn't women have put their hair up?

Kate Bunting
Retired librarian&  17th century reenactor

Wendi Dunlap         | litlnemo at slumberland.seattle.wa.us
Seattle, Wash., USA  | http://www.slumberland.seattle.wa.us
~~"Somehow everything will be a little different than you thought"~~