From: Kate Bunting <katembunt...@gmail.com>
Sender: h-costume-boun...@indra.com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:32:00
To: <h-costume@mail.indra.com>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Boning and corsets for musicians

I remember having a discussion about this on the list some years ago (10+?)
after I had nearly fainted while playing the shawm in a 17th century corset
in a sunny window. I was told that a corset should not be laced so tightly
as to restrict your breathing. Of course I'm aware that corsets of later
periods extend below the waist, increasing the problem. Having once worn an
18th century corset, I've often wondered how the lady singers of Handel's
time managed. Of course, as Maggie says, they were used to it.

Kate Bunting
Retired librarian & 17th-century reenactor.