When I was at a girls' school (England) in the late '50s - early '60s, as
well as a conventional knitted scarf and a conventional tie as part of our
winter uniform, we also had "house ties". These were worn at inter-house
sports events. They consisted of a length of a sort of tape about an inch
and a half wide in the appropriate colour, loosely woven from a wool-like
yarn. The ends were left raw and would fray into a fringe. They could be
worn either as a necktie or a waist sash.
I've no idea whether other schools, or boys' schools, had anything similar,
but it's the only suggestion I can make for a "scarf" which could function
as a trouser belt.
I do know that, for much of the early 20th century, schoolboys commonly
wore a belt of a more tightly woven fabric in coloured stripes, fastened
with a clasp in the form of a snake (see
http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/elasticated-snake-belts-br750.html  for a
modern version). I remember them from my childhood, I also remember my
father (b. 1907) saying that he wore one as a boy. So maybe these evolved
from the "scarf" mentioned in 1907?

Kate Bunting
Retired librarian & 17th century reenactor