As you've probably already discovered, searching is difficult because
both "curti" and the singular "curto" are popular surnames. Do these
authors usually use historic terms or do they invent terms? Some
tidbits I found:

Curti is a city in Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curti,_Campania

Florio (1611):
curti - pens or or folds for sheepe
curto - see corto
corto - short, briefe, succinct, either in body, quantity or time

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/florio/149small.html
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/florio/142small.html

--Charlene