Thanks, Carol--swallowtail is a good idea, with discreet fray preventative.

Ann Wass

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Kocian <aqua...@patriot.net>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Tue, Apr 29, 2014 9:42 am
Subject: [h-cost] Ribbon end treatment, was Re:  fiddly question

I remember someone doing a survey of images, just not sure if it was 18thC or
Regency. I remember the conclusion being the swallowtail cut — a V-shaped cut.
That way the cuts are 45 degrees and you have two points on the outside edges.
If it frays, then clean up the cuts and add fray check, as Ann suggested.

-Carol

> I'm making a couple of Regency bonnets, with satin ribbons as ties. How do
> you
finish off the end of the ribbon? Hem it? Cut it, and if so, how? Such a minor
detail, but I'm stumped.