From: RC Sharp <r.c.sh...@comcast.net>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Wed, Apr 30, 2014 4:56 pm
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Fwd: 1/2 scale design challenge, any period, "Fashion
Icons through the Ages"

The point is to make the garment(s) fit right on the half-scale mannequin.
They

don't care about it actually fitting a human.  (Please be aware that the
_provided_mannequin_ which entrants are _required_ to use is of
_modern_idealised_
proportions.)

Actually (and I'm sorry if this sounds cynical), the point is to sell the
concept of
using a half-scale mannequin to "help visualize" a design and to sell the
lessons
that go with the provided mannequin.

As for the thought that historically-oriented seamstresses, tailors, etc.,
might
have
an edge because of the announced theme of "Fashion Icons thru the Ages", please
read
their definition - "Fashion icons can be defined as someone known for wearing
fashion, designing fashion or having a strong influence on fashion."  Sounds
like the
mid-1800s and the rise of the fashion houses at the _earliest_.  (I wonder if
they
realise how many of us there are and what a span of history we cover!  <g>)

btw - Entrants are responsible for the shipping costs to get their entry (which
includes the mannequin to display it on) shipped to the event site in Navi,
Michigan,
prior to the actual event for pre-judging and for any return shipping.

Oh, and the prize - can't find any listed ...

My take-away from this?  They want me to spend $99 for a mannequin I can't use
(I am
soooo not modern idealised proportions) for lessons I don't need (I know the
techniques already) for something I normally do in my head during design phase.

And
even if I entered and (gasp) won, what would I win?  Um, glory?  I can win
better
'glory' just making something I _can_ wear and being seen in it.  Hmmm, I think
I'll
spend my money elsewhere.

YMMV though, so hit the website and decide for yourself ...

-RC-

    ** Whatever you do in life, let it be what you enjoy.  Life's too short to
do
otherwise. **
            (Yeah, yeah ... jobs and housework exist but everything else should
be
fun!)