I've heard of Spoonflower many times, and I'm staying firmly away from it. Their fabrics are not supposed to be very fast and some windows get a lot of sun. After going to all this trouble I want the drapes to last as many years as possible. Anyway, I don't want printed cotton drapes unless they are something really nice like Liberty home-dec.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com

On 12/17/2015 11:15 AM, Sharon Collier wrote:
Have you heard of www.spoonflower.com?
It's a site where you can design your own fabric or choose from thousands of
others designed by others.
After you find your design, you can choose to have it made in one of over a
dozen fabrics. So you could have matching drapes and upholstery, for example.
Sharon C.

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:57 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Is h-costume still going?

I'm still here and have been since h-costume started.  I am not sewing any garments
because I have to make all the drapes for a 5,000-square-foot house my husband and
I bought in June and have not moved into yet. (Not to mention a lot of
time-consuming stuff like picking out paint colors and Arts & Crafts cabinet
knobs.) Not a fixer-upper but lots of work being done, like complete kitchen
remodeling, installing hardwood floors in several rooms that did not have them
already, and painting. Then the landscaping needed work too.
Everything takes longer than it was supposed to.

The house is a 1940s Colonial Revival and we are furnishing it combined Arts &
Crafts/Art Nouveau style. Many features like oak flooring and a fireplace with
green tile carry over quite well. The sellers took all the window coverings, which
we probably wouldn't have liked anyway.
Some of the windows are fairly strange sizes and we ordered historic
reproduction custom-made roller shades for most of them. Which BTW turned out
not to cost any more than most of the ready-made shades I looked at, and
they're actually cotton instead of polyester.

The challenge I am facing is getting the fabric for the drapes.  It seems I
want a fairly flat look, probably 1 1/2 times fullness. Since this is not a
bungalow, I figured a general-Victorian-look brocade is OK, and I have a lot of
that in my stash, though in many cases not enough for a window. And I had some
embroidered linen I bought online that turned out to have motifs too large for
clothes. For three rooms that only have one window, what with only 1 1/2 times
fullness I managed to squeeze three windows' worth of drapes out of stash
fabric.

The rest of the fabric is proving to be a pain to find. So if anyone knows where to
buy repro Arts & Crafts or Art Nouveau drapery fabric in quantities up to 18
yards for a single room, I'd LOVE to know.  It seems I can use a textured fabric
such as dupioni or linen (preferably stenciled linen) if I have to, but I wanted to
furnish some rooms with Art Nouveau brocades.

Have to say I think the average "bungalow" decorating book (trendier than just Arts
& Crafts) is somewhat misleading on recommending no drapes at all or maybe only sheer
drapes if you must have something.
The few period pictures mostly show the usual set of lace drapes, outer drapes,
sometimes a valance as well. The Victorians and Edwardians didn't want the sun
full on their faces at dawn, or the neighbors peering into their windows, any
more than we do.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books of historic clothing patterns