From: Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 17, 2015 2:23 pm
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Is h-costume still going?

I get the impression that in the nineteenth century there was "private" versus
"public" needlework.  Unmarried young women, at least, tended to do mending and
make underclothes (shirts fell into that category) only within the family (when
no callers were expected) or at most, only in front of intimate female friends.
Their public, "fine" needlework showed off their skills in embroidery, netting,
and so forth. When they made calls, they might be embroidering a flounce for a
dress, or embroidering a fire screen, but not mending stockings.  Unpretentious
matrons and mothers of large families might do plain sewing and mending in a
more public way, but elegant married women, not.FranLavolta
Presswww.lavoltapress.comOn 12/17/2015 6:38 AM, annbw...@aol.com wrote:> I have
been getting the monthly reminders from indra.com, but I have to admit I don't
read them.>>> I also have something to share--this is based on the paper I gave
at the Jane Austen Society of North America's annual general meeting in
Louisville in October.>>>>
http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol36no1/wass.html>>> Ann Wass>>>>
-----Original Message-----> From: Robin Netherton <ro...@netherton.net>> To:
Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>> Sent: Thu, Dec 17, 2015 9:33 am>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Is h-costume still going?>> I'm here -- but my first post
saying so (from an alternate address by mistake) was rejected.On 12/17/2015
12:17 AM, Carol Kocian wrote:> Hi all,>> Is h-costume still going? I’m trying
to change my e-mail address for it, but the link below does not work.>>