From: Marjorie Wilser <the3t...@gmail.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:19:38 -0700
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Craftsman decorating

They also liked hammered copper— did you note the glasses underneath the ones linked?
==Marjorie Wilser

Completely off the "Craftsman" theme, but the water glasses in their "Gibraltar" pattern remind me of the glasses Yahrzeit candles used to come in. (For the non-Jews: these are sometimes called "memorial candles" and are used to honor our deceased first-degree relations on certain holy days and on the anniversary -- in Yiddish, "Yahrzeit" -- of their passing.) Pretty much every US Jewish home from the 1960s through the 1980s (maybe even the 1990s -- I don't recall exactly when the switch was made to smaller containers) used these as water glasses (obviously *after* the candle had been burned and the candle-remains cleaned out). I may have seen something like the taller glass in that set somewhere like Jahn's (regional chain of ice cream parlors established in 1897 per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahn%27s) or one of the luncheonettes we occasionally went to in the 1960s and 1970s.

> On 3/24/2016 4:56 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:
>> The arts and crafts movement shunned mass produced items. So, how about
>> something like this:
>> http://www.worldmarket.com/product/carats+barware.do?&from=fn

Brenda F. Bell
webwar...@earthlink.net