2009/12/7 sam pio <hiiiiiii...@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>         we have an application which uses H2 as an embedded
> database.In that application we constantlly write into the db
> synchronizing. and we also query and update simultaneously. I find
> that the overall operation of my program is 4 times slower in the unix
> environment(Sun Solaris 5.10) compared to my local PC(Windows XP).
> I use the same source code, same h2.jar, same input data. but i find
> when i start the two program at the same time, in XP it takes only 15
> min. but in unix it takes 1 hr. This is really bad.
> my local pc is dual core whereas the unix environment has 16
> processors. which means unix has to be 8 times more faster.. but the
> scenario is reverse..
> I doubt on the H2.jar for the performance...does to h2 jar  behaves
> like this. Has anyone seen such performance..
> What way can we increase the performance of the whole jar..

Unless you can assert that you application is CPU bound, a gajillion
processors wont speed up you app by a single millisecond. Almost
everything I've seen with H2 is purely IO bound. So what you are
seeing is slow IO on the Solaris box. This can have several reasons:
bad raid setups, slow disks, networked file systems, bad choice of
filesystem, other processes hogging the IO time etc.

I have not tested it, but I would be much surprised if H2 was slow on
a Solaris installation with local disks and no other processes
competing for IO.

So check if you app is on 100% CPU usage in 'top', if that is the case
multi threading will help. However; I am almost willing to bet that
you see its CPU usage around 10% - unless you have other code in your
app hogging up CPU cycles. In this case you have an IO problem and you
need to solve that.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel