I did so, but as i see it, that setting does not have any effect for in
memory DBs as I use it.

Cache Settings
The database keeps most frequently used data in the main memory. The
amount of memory used for caching can be changed using the setting
CACHE_SIZE. This setting can be set in the database connection URL (
jdbc:h2:~/test;CACHE_SIZE=131072), or it can be changed at runtime using
SET CACHE_SIZE size. The size of the cache, as represented by CACHE_SIZE
is measured in KB, with each KB being 1024 bytes. This setting has no
effect for in-memory databases. For persistent databases, the setting is
stored in the database and re-used when the database is opened the next
time. However, when opening an existing database, the cache size is set to
at most half the amount of memory available for the virtual machine
(Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory()), even if the cache size setting stored
in the database is larger; however the setting stored in the database is
kept. Setting the cache size in the database URL or explicitly using SET
CACHE_SIZE overrides this value (even if larger than the physical memory).
To get the current used maximum cache size, use the query SELECT * FROM
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SETTINGS WHERE NAME = 'info.CACHE_MAX_SIZE'
An experimental scan-resistant cache algorithm "Two Queue" (2Q) is
available. To enable it, append ;CACHE_TYPE=TQ to the database URL. The
cache might not actually improve performance. If you plan to use it,
please run your own test cases first.
Also included is an experimental second level soft reference cache. Rows
in this cache are only garbage collected on low memory. By default the
second level cache is disabled. To enable it, use the prefix SOFT_.
Example: jdbc:h2:~/test;CACHE_TYPE=SOFT_LRU. The cache might not actually
improve performance. If you plan to use it, please run your own test cases
first.
To get information about page reads and writes, and the current caching
algorithm in use, call SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SETTINGS. The
number of pages read / written is listed.

Regards,

Christoff Schmitz

F I N A R I S
Financial Software Partner GmbH